We're excited to announce the second edition of the WVU Junior Math Competition! If you are grade 7-12 and have an interest in math, we'd love for you to participate.
March 25th, 2023
11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
School of Mathematical and Data Sciences
Armstrong Hall 209, Morgantown, WV
Format and Grading
Two-hour written test on topics at the appropriate grade level and covered in the standard math curriculum. Calculus is not included in the list of topics. There are two separate question sets corresponding to grade groups 7-9 and 10-12.
A total of 20 points are distributed as follows:
- Ten multiple-choice questions (1 point each).
- Two questions, of the “find/compute …” type. The answer to these questions will be a number, and the derivation of the answer will also be graded (3 points each).
- One question, of the type “prove that...” (4 points).
Substantial! Best-ranked three participants in each grade group get prizes, with iPads for first place.
|Time||Event Title / Speaker / Details|
|11:00 AM – 1:00 PM||Written test in Armstrong Hall 209|
|1:15 PM - 2:45 PM||Lunch provided by the WVU School of Mathematical and Data Sciences
Armstrong Hall 209
Includes a presentation of the WVU Mathematics program by David Miller, Director of Undergraduate Studies
|3:00 PM – 4:00 PM||Planetarium show, hosted by the WVU Department of Physics, and Lane Innovation Hub Tour, hosted by Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
|4:30 PM – 5:00 PM||Award ceremony in
Armstrong Hall 209
- No registration fee.
- Public parking is available at the Mountainlair, Chestnut Street and Beechurst Ave (e.g. parking areas 4, 7, 11). All locations are within five minutes of Armstrong Hall. Directions to Beechurst Ave Parking Areas:
- Catered lunch will be provided for competition participants, teachers, and parents. There are also excellent food options within a 5-10 minute walk from Armstrong Hall.
To sign up, fill out the WVU Junior Competition Registration Form.